More Starcraft IPX issues

Nix N. Nix nix at go-nix.ca
Sat Mar 17 18:40:51 CST 2001

Wine is : 20010216
Distro is : RH7 w/ all the latest patches
Starcraft works beautifully (but only as root does DGA work :o( ), /except/:

Running network games (which requires IPX) work perfectly, but only on
LAN, i.e., on a setup w/ eth0 and lo, a network game will only work if

ipx_interface add -p eth0 802.3 0x12345678

Under these conditions I can play, no problem.  But, this doesn't work
with tap devices.  I wrote a simple program that'll forward ethernet
frames from /dev/tap0 to some remote /dev/tap0 (A simple, blind, packet
pusher - or, in this case - frame pusher).  When I start Starcraft like
this, I'm able to go into multiplayer -> IPX mode (I don't see "Unable
to initialize network provider"), but I can't see any games.  My program
shows SC scanning (writes 66 bytes to the interface every second) and it
also shows when someone starts a game (I receive ~=127 bytes from remote
/dev/tap0), but they never connect.  Is there something special wine
looks for in the primary IPX interface that TAP devices do not have ?
Has anyone gotten it to work ?  Do I need to bring up the tap device
with special parameters ? Is this perhaps a Starcraft security thing ?
How is a tap interface different from an eth interface (as far as it's
relevant to Wine/SC) ?  Woah ... gotta stop asking all these questions :o)

Nonetheless, thanks for any input you can provide.  I'd be willing to go
to great lengths to get SC to work over tap tunnels.