Wine hates everything but KDE!

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Mar 21 00:50:52 CST 2001

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Jerry W. Segers, Jr. wrote:

> OS: freshly updated linux mandrake 7.2 with my 2.4.2 kernel and ALSA
> .9 beta2
> X: 4.0.2 with up to date helix GNOME for mandrake 7 and KDE (came w/
> mandrake)
> Wine: 20010305 from source tarball
> Program: Starcraft 1.0 full
> Symptoms:  Under Gnome (sawfish, icewm, twm, windowmaker all the
> same), takes over screen or makes a window (my choice)  displays the
> "blizzard" splash screen (no sound) and quits with bitching about not
> having a debugger set up
>
> Under raw X with TWM takes over the screen (no choice) and displays a
> black screen and ignores the keyboard for everything but

TWM is _not_ raw X.  If you like, you can run wine from an xterm (no
WM), or even start X with "X :0" and run wine from a text console
with "wine --display :0" (vary your display number to suit your
situation).  Now that is raw X.  Might not be anything to do with the
problem you face, of course, but it works for my windose app.  But then,
so does icewm.

Lawson

Everything comes from somewhere.  Everything has to go somewhere.
There ain't no such thing as a free IRQ.
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.