nVidia and Starcraft

Daniel Foesch krach42 at aol.com
Wed Mar 21 01:49:13 CST 2001

>Interesting.  I updated to wine-20010305 about the same time I updated
>to the 0.9-767 drivers.  I received the same results but figured it was
>due to a change in wine (I seem to remember some change in the DIB
>handling code being mentioned somewhere).  I didn't do any checks to
>verify the real cause since running it on an X-server with "-depth 24"
>specified lets it work just fine.  No noticeable speed penalty (on a
>Athlon 900MHz with a Geforce 2MX card).

Fixed the problem of Starcraft not working... (how? I have no idea...)  Finally
got OpenGL games working (SOF worked because it linked libGL.so.1 instead of
libGL.so... which both point to the SAME file... so I went about looking into
why, and it turns out that nVidia's GLX installer does NOT remove any libGL.so*
in the /usr/X11R6/lib directory. :P)

Anyways, I'm back to my old problem before, where it refuses to work in
anything but -depth 8  and then sometimes, I get an odd palette shift, and a
lock up... I _NEVER_ had these problems with 0-9.5, and you know what? if I
install them over again, I again, have removed the problem.  Strangely, I seem
to have a similar problem with SDL, because the overlays in Myth2 seem to screw
up when I'm in 24bit color, but are perfectly fine in 16bit, or 8bit.

The SDL problem is only minor... I _HAVE_ to restart X for Counter-Strike to
work anyways... (can we maybe fool programs into thinking that they have 16-bit
depth, when they don't?  Just as an option maybe)

Daniel "Krach" Foesch