Charset / Language with an NT installation?

g.patel at wanadoo.fr g.patel at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 21 02:28:55 CST 2001

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:54:42 +1100, Richard Lovejoy
<Richard.Lovejoy at ericsson.com.au> wrote:

>For instance, when I've got the "Open file" dialogue open in
>Word, if I try and rename a file, I get errors like:
>  Cannot rename '...': The drive that this file or folder is stored on
>  does not allow long file names or names containing blanks or any of
>  the following characters....

Do you have a NTFS partition ? If yes, this is probably a lack
of OS support. It's said often that Linux does not support reliably
writing to a NTFS partition, for example. In this case, check for
updates on the Linux side.

>When I try and load a file from Word, I get errors like:
>  The document name or path is not valid.  It may contain characters
>  which are not part of the current language of the operating system.
>  Try renaming the file or opening it with the language of the system
>  set to the language used when the file was created.
>
>Excel seems to find files, but complains that it doesn't understand
>them.  Notepad loads files, but they turn to semi-gibberish.

Maybe you have an old version of Wine; this Notepad problem was
fixed a few months ago I think.

>All of this happens with simple filenames like "abcdefg.txt",
>and it happens to files living in my home directory on an e2fs
>filesystem, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the ntfs driver.

Including the file save problem ?
If yes, try to use more builtin libraries (DllOverrides in the
~/.wine/config file). All system libraries under NT are fully
Unicode and use NTsecurity, and Wine is not very
conformant here.Most NT system utilities, even simple ones,
will not work correctly.

Gerard