AutoCAD 14 with wine... anyone have any luck with this?

Tomas Nykung tomas2 at nospamthanks.nic.fi
Thu Mar 22 03:10:46 CST 2001

"hahn rossman" wrote...
> It looks bad from the (possibly outdated) list on the winehq web site. I
> am also extremely interested in running r14 on Wine or possibly some
> other emulator. Any suggestions other than WINE???
> Hahn Rossman
> Alki Foundry

I am repeating myself here now, as this question is asked
every now and then, and i'm the one that usually seems to
answer it, so this is mostly an copy and paste from another
thread about the same subject, with some additions.
This is also OT in this newsgroop, as it has nothing to do
with Wine, so Wine folks please ignore...

I got AutoCAD (LT) 2000 up and running under Linux with
Win4Lin. You may want to try it "in the meantime", until
Wine is ready for AutoCAD.
You may download an evaluation version directly from:
www.netraverse.com

The only problem i have had with it so far is that the scroll
wheel on my mouse is not supported, and thus you cannot zoom with
the scroll wheel in AutoCAD under Win4Lin. (If you use AutoCAD R14
then this don't make any sense, because the scroll wheel isn't
supported in R14.)
You can of course zoom "the old way" and everything else like
printing/plotting is working fine as far as i have tested.
I posted a question about the scroll wheel problem to the Win4Lin
support folks, and got a very polite and good answer (definitly
not an auto reply) stating that they are working on it, so maybe
it will be supported under future versions.

The drawback with Win4Lin, as i se it, is that it requires a
Windows 9x CD as it needs many of the files from the Windows CD
to run, and thus you still need a Windows licence.

I think Wine is the only emulator that can run Windows programs
under Linux without any Windows code and license, the others tries,
to various degrees, to run Windows under Linux, and then run the
Windows programs under that. (Correct me if i'm wrong.)
(But hey, it's a cool feeling to boot Windows under Linux :))

With Win4Lin you can run Windows in an normal window directly
as a normal X program, or then you can run it on another virtual
console and switch between the X desktop and the Windows desktop
by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F8.

There are also other alternatives, for example VMware, but that
costs much more, and need more system resources to run, as it
runs the whole Windows thingy under an "virtual computer" and
therefore needs to load every kind of Windows stuff to run,
unlike Win4Lin that somehow uses Linux as the OS and run Windows
as an application under Linux. (Eh, you shouldn't try to explain
to others what you don't fully understand yourself, especially
not in your third language... <g>).

There is also a free implemention of VMware named Plex86
http://www.plex86.org/ but that is still beta (alpha?) and used
at your own risk :), but it's rapidly developed, and may be worth
a look.

Regards
Tomas Nykung