Charset / Language with an NT installation?

g.patel at wanadoo.fr g.patel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 22 07:42:04 CST 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:35:01 +1100, Richard Lovejoy
<Richard.Lovejoy at ericsson.com.au> wrote:

>> >All of this happens with simple filenames like "abcdefg.txt",
>> >and it happens to files living in my home directory on an e2fs
>> >filesystem, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the ntfs driver.
>>
>> Including the file save problem ?
>> If yes, try to use more builtin libraries (DllOverrides in the
>> ~/.wine/config file). All system libraries under NT are fully
>> Unicode and use NTsecurity, and Wine is not very
>> conformant here.Most NT system utilities, even simple ones,
>> will not work correctly.
>
>  I tried setting them all to builtin, to no avail.

Check by running with -debugmsg +loaddll if you succeeded -
it's not so obvious if you don't know the innards of Wine :-/

>But, I had a thought.  Is it possible that when Microsoft Office was
>installed on my computer, it used NT-type DLLs that include unicode
>support?  Like, for example "wwintl32.dll" (which lives in the office
>directory on my machine)?

Hmm. I don't know. I would be surprised if they did it
with Office 97 (you don't say which version of Office - AFAIK
Office 2000 needs a fair amount of 'native' dlls)

There is always the usuall fallback - say to run with
-debugmsg +relay,+file,+dosfs and see what happens
when you try to save a file - maybe you will find that it's
trying to file on a read-only partition ;-)

Gerard