Half-Life + Wine (and other programs I suppose...) Recommendation!!!

Jim Chisholm jim at electron.phys.dal.ca
Thu Mar 22 15:18:39 CST 2001

alex wrote:

> Ive tried very hard to get Half-Life to run on my Linux box...and I have
> finally managed to get it to work...the problem (the BIG  problem) was
> that I was trying to use an installed version of windows as the
> basis of wine. It worked fine with most programs...but not Half-Life and
> some other games...
>
> My recommendation is that you dont use a preinstalled version of windows
> as the basis of a wine installation...
>
> So when you install wine make sure you have umounted all your windows
> partitions with a with windows-os directory. Thats it I guess...and besides
> you can includes these drives at a latter stage in your
> .wine/config file anyways.
>
> Also as I have bought the latest generations edition of Half-Life so I can
> tell you that the standalone Counterstrike game worked fine too...I have
> not yet tried Opposing Forces or Team Fortress...
>
> kind regards
> //Alex
>
> ps. I guess that this tip could apply to other games as well....:)

Hey Alex..
That is probably the single most useful tip I have yet come across in this
group..THANK YOU !!
I've spent countless hours frigging around with HalfLife with little to no
success.. I followed your advise and everything now works flawlessly.
The 1104 patch was necessary for OpenGL to work. It had almost reached the
point of obsession trying to de-bug my old setup and it's incredible how
smoothly everything went with a dummy windows directory. Can you say mkfs -t
ext2 /dev/win98 ?! Yippee. SOF and everything else I've tried runs great as
well.
Thanks again.

Jim

Jim Chisholm
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Captain/Training Officer  Bay Road Station 59