[beginner]Networkaccess

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Mar 23 05:47:52 CST 2001

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Frank Evers wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> I'm trying to run my homebanking-software under wine. How can I get
> networkaccess with wine ?  I have already copied the winsock32.dll, but I
> think there has to be bone more but that !
> Exists a FAQ for that problem ?
>
> --
> Gruß
> Frank

To quote from <wine>/documentation/configuring.sgml,

            winsock, wsock32

                Windows Sockets. The native version
                will not work under Wine, so leave at
                builtin.

If you can get your linux box online with whatever ISP you use, Wine's
builtin winsock/wsock32 will let windows programs have the network
access they expect.  (IOW, I think it is implemented in terms of linux
sockets).  Windows DUN/RAS are not yet at all well supported, I think,
but if your ISP is not Linux-hostile you may be all set.  Even if it is
Linux-hostile, ... a great many servers actually _are_ linux boxen,
because the bottom line is, it is cheaper _and_ better, especially if
you are not too interested in playing games.

Mind, I haven't an ISP at all, just a dialup mail server in effect, so I
don't have experience, but that is how it looks to me.

Lawson
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.