VXDs under linux?

Dale Pontius pontius at btv.MBI.com.invalid
Tue Mar 27 10:45:50 CST 2001

In article <20010317021154.02237.00001639 at ng-de1.aol.com>,
        krach42 at aol.com (Daniel Foesch) writes:
>>1. I guess so... didn't occur to me.
>>2. I understand that.  I've tried lobbying (got a bunch of friends to
>>email them too), but I guess I'll have to live with no support until
>>god knows when (when Intel decides linux users want 10mps anypoint
>>cards) or when I go to a college where I can use supported NICs.
>>

> Eh... there's always that third option... reverse-engineer the thing. (a la
> WINE) Of course, you'll end up just as slow going, and with drivers, a half
> working component is not really a component at all.
>
> I find it regretable that so many companies are not seeing the benifit of
> open-source.  Take nVidia for example.  Two days ago or so, they release the

I don't know if nVidia received the message I sent them about Open
Source, but I know Matrox did, because that's where I sent my money
a year ago for a G400 on my home system. (Open Source + Video Quality
+ DualHead vs raw bang-for-the-buck performance + promised (at the
time) binary drivers.)

Corporations speak in the language of money. If you want to send a
message, and send it loudly, make it in the medium of $$$. Either
give or deprive a sale.

IMHO, the G400/G450 isn't a terribly competitive 3D card, any more.
But there is still the ATI Radeon, which apparently is working
toward Open Source drivers, and the next generation Radeon is sup-
posed to keep up with the GeForce 3 feature set. Plus word is that
Matrox is working on another comeback. (The G400 was quite a come-
back kid, at introduction.)

Dale Pontius
NOT speaking for IBM