Office 97 installation problem

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Tue Mar 27 17:32:34 CST 2001

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Keith Reynolds wrote:

> When trying to run the Office 97 installation program, I get a dialog box
> with the following error:
>
> -----
> There is insufficient memory or disk space to run Setup. The Setup program
> requires about 5000kb of free disk space.
>
> Try closing any open applications, restarting Windows, or freeing some disk
> space.
> -----
>
> This is with the fake-windows directory set up; I do not have a real windows
> partition.
>
> I have lots of disk space and RAM free, so it seems likely that wine isn't
> returning either disk space or memory information in the way the setup
> program is expecting.

Or the program is just lying.  Most windose programs report any error
that occurs in a lower level function with that kind of error message.
The app that will send this letter raises an "Insufficient memory or
disk space" message box if it is run with builtin riched32, but works
fine with native riched32.

>  Is there something I can do to fix this, or
> alternately, could someone give me a hint as to what part of the code I
> should look at to try to fix it myself?
>
> I have a huge (33Mb) "wine --debugmsg +all" file if anyone's interested, or
> can give me advice as to what types of messages in the file I should be
> looking at.
>
> --
> Keith Reynolds <keithr at keithr.com>

Find the API call that raised that message box and look backward for
something that failed, or a stub, or something that was not as the app
expected.  I think I would rather use --debugmsg +relay.  +all is just
too much, and before you know what is failing you don't really care
about the inner thrashings of dosfs, FI.

Sorry I don't know a more precise way.  I got this app working 90
percent pure dumb luck and 10 percent stubbornness.

Lawson

It is better to be lucky than good. - J. A. Soucy
---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.