Update: AOL and WINE

Daniel Foesch krach42 at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 19:58:46 CST 2001

I've actually got an update.  I've _JUST_ managed to get AOL to start under
wine, and even to connect.  I can't seem to get E-Mail to work, or to get onto
my NewGroup reader, (so, I'm still typing this under VMWare) but I _DID_ get
IM's and chat...

How?  This is the setup, I'm actually running Transgaming CVS, I'm not sure if
it will work with regular WINE CVS, but it's definately working with
Transgaming CVS...  I also had to start it with "wine aol --winver nt40" and
this cut all the problems.  I'm also running AOL5, not 6.0  I can't speak for
the compatibility of any AOL version but 5.0, but I'll assume that 4.0 would
work just as well as 5.0, if not better.

I'd like to see some input from other people trying to reproduce these results,
and I'll perhaps start producing an AOL on WINE FAQ, and a HOW-TO to help
others once I get some better documentation and support available for people.

Daniel "Krach" Foesch