wine/problem with sound interference

Walt H waltabbyh at uswest.net
Sat Mar 31 22:58:00 CST 2001

That's very common. As long as another application is accessing your
sound hardware, it will be locked and unable to be used by other
applications. Nowadays, many distributions include gnome/kde which each
have their own sound daemons (esd/artsd). If you are using a somewhat
recent linux distribution and have kde/gnome running, there might be a
workaround for your sound issue. Under KDE, start up the app using
soundwrapper - under gnome, use esddsp. Both are similar. Instead of the
normal "wine application.exe" command use: "soundwrapper wine
application.exe" or "esddsp wine application.exe" to start it.
Also, as the previous poster mentioned (in a roundabout way), if your
original post is accurate, you are using a very old verion of wine.
Consider upgrading as many bugs have been fixed since then. HTH,

-Walt