Running WINE as Root

cacook at freedom.net cacook at freedom.net
Tue May 1 08:28:02 CDT 2001

> Hello,
>
> How do I run WINE as user Root ?  When I start WINE it keeps
> replying that I have to login as normal user, although the User's Guide

You mean when you run winesetup it keeps reminding you.

The latest versions of CW Wine indeed require that you are logged in as a user in order to SET UP.  This is to remind you that it is EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS from a security standpoint to run as root as a matter of course.  I know it is easier, but there is su & sudo.

But if you do want to run Wine as root despite the warning, log in as a user, run winesetup, then log in as root and copy the /home/user/.wine/config to /root/.wine
--
C.

The best way out is always through.
      - Robert Frost  A Servant to Servants, 1914