Wine and game The Realm

Kevin justintyme at hfx.andara.com
Tue May 1 10:10:45 CDT 2001

Hi all,

Any ideas would be appreciated. Problem description,
partial log, and config follow.

TIA Kevin

Trying to run a game called The Realm (which used
to work fine before they updated the graphics to
16 bit
My normal X is at 16-bit. I use Mandrake 7.1, kernel 2.4.3,
XFree86 4.0.2, sawmill, KDE 1.1.2 and codeweavers preview 3.
When starting the game I get a winedesktop window
 - black and empty, then a second
window titled wine desktop <2> black with a
black dialog box with no writing and only an
OK button. This dialog box doesn't have focus
and I can't give it focus my clicking. etc.

However if I startx with :

startx -- -fbbpp 8
and then lauch the game from a terminal with:
wine wlaunch.exe
(by the way, wlaunch.exe checks for updates, then launches sciw.exe and I think
thats why I get the two windows)
in game directory

a blank winedesktop window opens, then a second
winedesktop <2> window with a dialog box inside labeled:

Unsupported Color Depth

and the dialog: (with text very much like windows
text)

Your desktop is currently set to support less
than 16 bit color. The Realm Online requires
that your desktop support at least 16 bit color.
Would you like to change your desktop
settings and continue playing?

Choices are Yes and No. Choosing no, exits the game.
Choosing yes yields a new dialog box labeled:

Success

and the dialog:

Your desktop has been reconfigured. Click
OK to continue playing.
Clicking OK yields a new dialog box labeled:

pnpdrvr.drv

and the dialog

Your current display driver is not supported by
this game. We require a driver which can
display at least 16-bit colors. You can install
a different driver by selecting the appropriate
options from Windows Setup
Choice is OK button
Clicking OK exits the game.

fixme:module:CreateProcessA (sciw.exe,...): NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS ignored
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
fixme:win32:SetCriticalSectionSpinCount critsection=0x7ff063b8: spincount=1000 not supported
fixme:win32:SetCriticalSectionSpinCount critsection=0x7ff063d8: spincount=1000 not supported
fixme:font:AddFontResourceA ("C:\\WINDOWS\\Fonts\\reale___.ttf"): stub! Read the Wine User Guide on how to install this font manually.
fixme:system:ChangeDisplaySettingsA (0x568780,0x00000004), stub
	flags=FULLSCREEN,
fixme:system:ChangeDisplaySettingsA    bpp=16
fixme:system:ChangeDisplaySettingsA    width=800
fixme:system:ChangeDisplaySettingsA    height=600
fixme:system:ChangeDisplaySettingsA  (Putting X in this mode beforehand might help)

at 16 bit I get the same fixme's but the lines for
bpp = , width =, and height =  are not there.
I've looked for the documentation for adding the font manually
to no avail, but don't think this is the problem just yet. (and read a message
from around January that the guide was there yet)

I've also asking the games techs if I can disable the check
for screen depth. No answer yet, and I'm sure to get the
"it's not supported under Linux" answer :-)

I've tried setting the Screen Depth = 16 in the
/home/user/.wine/config to no avail. Actually, when I did
that I couldn't read the dialogs when starting in 8 bit either.

My config at the moment is fairly generic. I recreated it
and think most stuff is at the delaults.

WINE REGISTRY Version 2
;; All keys relative to \\Machine\\Software\\Wine\\Wine\\Config

;;
;; MS-DOS drives configuration
;;
;; Each section has the following format:
;; [Drive X]
;; Path=xxx       (Unix path for drive root)
;; Type=xxx       (supported types are 'floppy', 'hd', 'cdrom' and 'network')
;; Label=xxx      (drive label, at most 11 characters)
;; Serial=xxx     (serial number, 8 characters hexadecimal number)
;; Filesystem=xxx (supported types are 'msdos'/'dos'/'fat', 'win95'/'vfat', 'unix')
;;   This is the FS Wine is supposed to emulate on a certain
;;   directory structure.
;;   Recommended:
;;   - "win95" for ext2fs, VFAT and FAT32
;;   - "msdos" for FAT16 (ugly, upgrading to VFAT driver strongly recommended)
;;   DON'T use "unix" unless you intend to port programs using Winelib !
;; Device=/dev/xx (only if you want to allow raw device access)
;;

[Drive A]
"Type" = "floppy"
"Path" = "/mnt/floppy"
"Label" = "/mnt/floppy"
"Device" = "/dev/fd0"

[Drive C]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/mnt/win_c"
"Label" = "/mnt/win_c"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive D]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/mnt/win_d"
"Label" = "/mnt/win_d"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive E]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/mnt/win_e"
"Label" = "/mnt/win_e"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive F]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/mnt/win_f"
"Label" = "/mnt/win_f"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive M]
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Path" = "/mnt/cdrom"
"Label" = "/mnt/cdrom"
"FS" = "win95"
"Device" = "/dev/hdd"

[Drive X]
"Type" = "hd"
"Path" = "/tmp"
"Label" = "Tmp Drive"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive Y]
"Type" = "network"
"Path" = "${HOME}"
"Label" = "Home"
"FS" = "win95"

[Drive Z]
"Type" = "network"
"Path" = "/"
"Label" = "Root"
"FS" = "win95"

[wine]
"Windows" = "C:\\windows"
"System" = "C:\\windows\\system"
"Path" = "C:\\windows;C:\\windows\\system;X:\\;Y:\\"
"Temp" = "X:\\"
"GraphicsDriver" = "x11drv"
; Wine doesn't pass directory symlinks to Windows programs by default.
; Enabling this may crash some programs that do recursive lookups of a whole
; subdir tree in case of a symlink pointing back to itself.
;ShowDirSymlinks=1
"ShellLinker" = "wineshelllink"

[DllDefaults]
"DefaultLoadOrder" = "native, builtin, so"

[DllOverrides]
"commdlg" = "builtin, native"
"comdlg32" = "builtin, native"
"ver" = "builtin, native"
"version" = "builtin, native"
"shell" = "builtin, native"
"shell32" = "builtin, native"
"lzexpand" = "builtin, native"
"lz32" = "builtin, native"
"comctl32" = "builtin, native"
"commctrl" = "builtin, native"
"wsock32" = "builtin"
"winsock" = "builtin"
"advapi32" = "builtin, native"
"crtdll" = "builtin, native"
"mpr" = "builtin, native"
"winspool.drv" = "builtin, native"
"ddraw" = "builtin, native"
"dinput" = "builtin, native"
"dsound" = "builtin, native"
"mmsystem" = "builtin"
"winmm" = "builtin"
"msvideo" = "builtin, native"
"msvfw32" = "builtin, native"
"mcicda.drv" = "builtin, native"
"mciseq.drv" = "builtin, native"
"mciwave.drv" = "builtin, native"
"mciavi.drv" = "native, builtin"
"mcianim.drv" = "native, builtin"
"msacm.drv" = "builtin, native"
"midimap.drv" = "builtin, native"
"wnaspi32" = "builtin"
"icmp" = "builtin"
"imm" = "builtin, native"
"imm32" = "builtin, native"

[x11drv]
; Number of colors to allocate from the system palette
"AllocSystemColors" = "100"
; Use a private color map
"PrivateColorMap" = "N"
; Favor correctness over speed in some graphics operations
"PerfectGraphics" = "N"
; Color depth to use on multi-depth screens
;;ScreenDepth = 16
; Name of X11 display to use
;;Display = :0.0
; Allow the window manager to manage created windows
"Managed" = "N"
; Run Wine windows in desktop. Contains "N" or something like "800x600".
"Desktop" = "800x600"
; Use XFree86 DGA extension if present
"UseDGA" = "Y"
; Use XShm extension if present
"UseXShm" = "Y"
; Enable DirectX mouse grab
"DXGrab" = "N"
; Create the desktop window with a double-buffered visual
; (useful to play OpenGL games)
"DesktopDoubleBuffered" = "N"
; Code page used for captions in managed mode
; 0 means default ANSI code page (CP_ACP == 0)
"TextCP" = "0"
; Use this if you have more than one port for video on your setup
; (Wine uses for now the first 'input image' it finds).
;; XVideoPort = 43

[fonts]
;Read documentation/fonts before adding aliases
"Resolution" = "96"
"Default" = "-adobe-times-"

[serialports]
"Com1" = "/dev/ttyS0"
"Com2" = "/dev/ttyS1"
"Com3" = "/dev/modem,38400"
"Com4" = "/dev/modem"

[parallelports]
"Lpt1" = "/dev/lp0"

[spooler]
"LPT1:" = "|lpr"
"LPT2:" = "|gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -sOutputFile=/tmp/fred -q -"
"LPT3:" = "/dev/lp3"

[ports]
;read=0x779,0x379,0x280-0x2a0
;write=0x779,0x379,0x280-0x2a0

[spy]
"Exclude" = "WM_SIZE;WM_TIMER;"

[registry]
; Paths must be given in /dir/dir/file.reg format.
; Wine will not understand dos file names here...

;These are all booleans.  Y/y/T/t/1 are true, N/n/F/f/0 are false.
;Defaults are read all, write to Home
; Global registries (stored in /etc)
"LoadGlobalRegistryFiles" = "Y"
; Home registries (stored in ~user/.wine/)
"LoadHomeRegistryFiles" = "Y"
; Load Windows registries from the Windows directory
"LoadWindowsRegistryFiles" = "Y"
; TRY to write all changes to home registries
"WritetoHomeRegistryFiles" = "Y"
; Registry periodic save timeout in seconds
; PeriodicSave=600
; Save only modified keys
"SaveOnlyUpdatedKeys" = "Y"

[Tweak.Layout]
;; WineLook=xxx  (supported styles are 'Win31'(default), 'Win95', 'Win98')
"WineLook" = "Win98"

[Console]
;Drivers=tty
;XtermProg=nxterm