DLL Error When Installing Programs

cacook at freedom.net cacook at freedom.net
Tue May 1 11:59:34 CDT 2001

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 11:45:42AM -0600, cacook at freedom.net wrote:

> Would like a common Wine config for all users, so copied config to /etc/wine.conf, then removed all but the first line from users' config, but when I tried to run something it complains of invalid config file.  What is the proper way to make common settings & common installs for all users, for easy administration?
>
> It used to be easier, I think, but at the moment the setup is directed versus
> a per-user config.

Yes, but can't I move config to wine.conf?  If an app is installed for root, wouldn't it also be installed for a user?

Maybe the problem is the registry files.  Can I symlink a user's registry files to root's?  Would this create a security problem?  Would it work?

>  And, winedbg symlink is broken.  Is this just an artifact, or can I fix it?
> This *should* exist. Winelib apps always have symlinks.
>  (you just won't be able to run winedbg, then)
>
> I don't think it's a real problem for you.
> Or do you really need winedbg ?

Yes, winedbg would be nice, since sometimes I don't get the window with debug button.

> I am hearing that in order to deinstall a Winders program, you must compile a certain app from the sources.  Can anyone provide detail?
> Yep. My program in programs/uninstaller.
> It works :-)
> (at least in order to uninstall a program; it doesn't have fancy & flashy
> animations).
>
> Which Wine package is this ?
> It should *really* include this program...
>
> Oh, so *our* Wine preview doesn't contain the uninstaller binary ??
> Hmm, I need to have some important talk with Jeremy White, I'd say ;-)

I could not find it on disk.  Where is the programs/uninstaller you refer to?  I looked for it on CW's website.  I have the newest (CodeWeavers Preview3).  Please tell me how to uninstall a program.

> I chose Desktop mode, as I need two apps running simultaneously.  Freedom, which is my privacy app and netscape-mail must run together, as mail is fetched through Freedom.  Is this possible?
> Should be doable.
>
> No problem. Just run it ;-)
> Well, actually you need something like winfile to start several programs
> at the same time. Starting a second program with a program that can't start
> another program isn't possible.

So just run one, then another, and the second one will appear in the same desktop?
I don't have a Winfile in the 'gay' operating system.  Is this a special win app, or Linux?

> Thank you for your help Andreas.  Wrote in German to hopefully save you time.
> Hopefully, yes.
> I'm afraid that didn't work out.
> I needed additional time to de-babel it ;-)))
> (no, it's not been terribly broken; only funny :)
>
> And given my 6 month internship in the US I don't think I've got too many
> problems left with English anyway :)

Nevertheless, can you recommend a respectable machine translator?
--
C.

The best way out is always through.
      - Robert Frost  A Servant to Servants, 1914