Wine & Superbase

Jim Locker support at softwareforlandlords.com
Sun May 6 10:11:19 CDT 2001

Hello, all.

I am a very experienced computer user/developer who is new to Linux and to
Wine.

I have decided to migrate off of Windows - can't stand Microsoft and have
only been using their products due to sheer necessity.  In order to
migrate, I need to have Wine working just about completely.  Because of
that, and because of my background, I will probably volunteer to help in
the not distant future.  At this time, I am still becoming familiar with
the Linux organization and I am just starting with Wine.  When I have
learned enough to be useful, I will try to contribute.

But right now, I am trying to get Superbase running under Wine.  Has anyone
done this?  SB is a 16 bit app (which, I hope, will soon be updated to a 32
bit app) and I am trying to access my Win NT system.

The Win NT system is on an NTFS partition, which is write protected.  I
have read a lot of messages on this board, and evidently write protected
Windows folders have been a problem for other people.  So, I can try to
clear some space and move my WinNT folder to someplace writeable.  Haven't
done that yet.

Nonetheless, I was able to load Word 97 (although I couldn't load any files
for it - most likely due to the write protection).

The command line option which has done the best for me (so far) is this:

wine --dll commdlg32,commdlg=n,b+shell32,shell=n,b --managed --synchronous
/mnt/windows/sb30/sb30.exe &

This line returns no errors, but after an extended pause I get these
messages:

Warning: Modules 'commdlg' and 'comdlg32' have different loadorder which
may cause trouble
err:seh:UnhandledExceptionFilter Couldn't start debugger (drwtsn32 -p
134638760 -e 68 -g) (2)

I don't think the warning is a big deal; if I reverse the load order or
don't specify, I get error messages that state commdlg is being
instantiated twice.

Any help would be appreciated.