how to use bidirectionnal parallel port?

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed May 9 02:38:39 CDT 2001

Jean-Charles de Longueville <jch at hellea.be> wrote:
: Hi,

: I'm trying to use an old win31 app for controling some data acquisition
: board. The board is connected to the PC trough the parallel port.

: I can print from Linux on this port.

: the parallel port is on 0x3f8 irq 7

: I add

:   [parallelports]
:   "Lpt1" = "/dev/lp0"
:
:   [ports]
:   "read" = "0x3f8"
:   "write" = "0x3f8"

: to ~/.wine/config

: As specified in the manual I'm running one of the needed apps as root in
: order to access to the port. But wine freeze reporting in the console

:   err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection Critical Section 0x400f1c48 wait
: timed out, retrying (60 sec) fs=0267

: a couple of time before exiting. And with the other app, it is the app
: itself who respond "printer error".

: I'have tried to find a maximum of info, faq, comments,... for more than
: a week to no extend ;-/

Success with 3.1 printer depends on several things:
- Wine can't use *.sys file ( to my knowledge)
- Direct port access is only possible when running wine as root
- Probably you need to allow the whole range of the parallel port
  (0x378-0x37f)
- Be sure that the programm is configured to use that port
- Runn with --debugmsg +int what ports you program tries to access
  directly.

Hope this helps
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de