Microsoft "Windows for Linux"

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Wed May 9 18:43:08 CDT 2001

Alfredo Cole wrote:

> At the risk of being flamed for an OT discussion, I'll tell you. VMware is
> derived from the Plex86 project. It requires that you create a fixed-sized
> file to emmulate a hard disk to install Windows in it. It is also much slower
> on the same hardware.

To drift even further OT... While VMware can be used this way, it is not
required. You can use regular old FAT filesystems if you want, which
VMware calls "raw" devices. However, the virtual machine (eg. Windoze
under VMware) cannot directly share a filesystem with the host (eg.
Linux). To share a filesystem, it would normally be mounted under Linux,
and then shared with VMware via a Samba virtual network connection.

But VMware definitely is slow, especially graphics performance (at least
with my Matrox G400).

Duane