Microsoft "Windows for Linux"

Karel Jansens kareljansens at tiscalinet.be
Mon May 14 06:13:04 CDT 2001

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Robert Kent wrote:
>>
>> -cross posted to comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine-
>>
>> Microsoft should consider producing "Windows for Linux". It could be
>> their own version of Wine, but it would be nearly 100% compatible with
>> the latest version of Windows. Microsoft could require that users have a
>> retail copy of Windows to make this work.
>>
>> It's a win-win situation. Linux users could run nearly all of the
>> available Windows applications, and Microsoft would still make money
>> selling Windows licenses.
> What would be better is if IBM created an O/S 2 warp compatibility layer
> for Linux.  Lotus Smart Suite is one piece of software available for
> OS/2 Warp that would be nice for Linux.  IBM would lose nothing as it
> has already discontinued selling OS/2 Warp, and will discontinue support
> in a couple of years. This would be a win-win situation.  You'd be
> surprised how many ex-OS2 warp programmers are out there, and this would
> bridge the gap.

Just a few remarks:

1. There already is an XFree server for OS/2. The same people who make ODIN
(the OS/2 seamless Win9x emulator) have a project running to make X
programs run seamlessly on the OS/2 desktop. So, if SmartSuite is really
that important to you, you could buy a copy of eComStation (which will
include SmartSuite 1.6), run it natively and keep your preferred X programs.

2. While it is true that IBM no longer seems to be interested in OS/2 (they
seem to be hopping between Windows 2000 on one leg and linux on the other),
Serenity Systems has struck a licensing deal with them and will continue to
market and develop OS/2, now under the name of eComStation (a GA version
will be released RSN).

3. WTF don't those lazy bastards from Lotus get off their fat asses and
make a fscking linux version of SmartSuite!!!!?? Sheesh, what do we have to
do, insult them first or what?

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens