New printing concept of wine

Marcus Roeckrath marcus.roeckrath at gmx.de
Tue May 15 15:43:34 CDT 2001

Hi Ian,

Ian Pilcher wrote on Die, 15 Mai 2001 about Re: New printing concept
of wine

> > How can I make another printer as default printer different from
> > the first one from /etc/printcap.
> >
> You can't.

Not good, i hope this can be changed sometimes.

> > How can I exclude some /etc/printcap printers from scanning by wine?
> >
> You can't.

Same as above.

> > From where can I get ppd files for non ps printers?
> >
> In general, there's no such thing.  If, however, you're using Ghost-
> script to print to a non-PostScript laser printer, there's probably a
> PostScript-capable variant or PostScript option that will have a PPD
> file.

I own a postscript printer (HP 4M) but there are three entries for
the PCL-part of the printer in the printcap also. I assigned the
same ppd file as used for ps part to the wine config file and tried
to print thru this driver from wine. But the result was not good.

> > Why does the former installed Wine PostScript Driver does not work
> > anymore?
> >
> What do you mean?

Before this new behaviour of wine I installed the wineps driver as
described in printing.sgml using psdrv.reg in addition. This worked
well but now this driver isn´t accessable anymore.

I do not need this because the lpr way works well but it was
wondering why this does not work now.

> The great to-do list in the sky includes adding a check for a [ppd] file
> entry in the Wine config file; if it isn't there, /etc/printcap scanning
> will be disabled, and you will have to set up Wine printers the "old
> fashioned" way.  Would this work for you?

I do not need this old wineps driver and the way to setup the printer
section without manipulation the registry files is a better idea.

--

Gruss Marcus

Marcus Roeckrath -- Vikarsbusch 8 -- D-48308 Senden -- Germany
Phone  : +49-2536-9944 -- Mailer/BBS/Fax : +49-2536-9943 (V34, X75)
FidoNet: 2:2449/523
E-Mail : marcus.roeckrath at gmx.de
WWW    : http://home.foni.net/~marcusroeckrath/