New printing concept of wine

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Tue May 15 11:06:23 CDT 2001

In article <01051518130400.12207 at lighthouse>,
Marcus Roeckrath  <wine-users at winehq.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I´m allways using the recent versions from cvs (prebuild from
>dailywine) and I stated that I have to reconfigure my wine printing.
>
>Before I used the wineps.drv driver but now wine seams to work with
>the printers defined in /etc/printcap.
>
>But there are some little questions left by me although I got it
>printing well:
>

>1.
>How can I make another printer as default printer different from
>the first one from /etc/printcap.

This is currently not possible I am afraid.

>I tried to edit win.ini but everytime wine is started the first
>printcap entry is installed as default printer.

Yes.

>2.
>How can I exclude some /etc/printcap printers from scanning by wine?

>Does it make sense to define printcap printers like ascii (my hp ps
>printer has three entries in printcap: ascii, lp, raw) in wine?
>Printing a document on the ascii printer the wine ps output is
>printed as ps source code, which is normal for the ascii spooler,
>which will pass the spooler input thru a2ps.

The current magic tries to autodetect postscript printers in /etc/printcap
and only lists those.

>3.
>From where can I get ppd files for non ps printers?

I have included a generic.ppd in documentation/samples/ which should
work for all ghostscript emulated printers.

>4.
>Why does the former installed Wine PostScript Driver does not work
>anymore?

Huh, it still should?

Ciao, Marcus