New printing concept of wine

Marcus Roeckrath marcus.roeckrath at gmx.de
Wed May 16 06:32:07 CDT 2001

Hi Marcus,

Marcus Meissner wrote on Die, 15 Mai 2001 about Re: New printing
concept of wine

> The current magic tries to autodetect postscript printers in /etc/printcap
> and only lists those.

On my system all 10 queues are detected as postscript, while at
maximum 4 of them are capable of postscript either directly (my
postscript printer) or via ghostscript.

> >From where can I get ppd files for non ps printers?
>
> I have included a generic.ppd in documentation/samples/ which should
> work for all ghostscript emulated printers.

I downloaded precompiled binaries from dailywine and dataparty. Both
of them does not contain a generic ppd file. The dataparty rpm in
addition has an older printing.sgml file which does not explain this
new technologie.

How it is possible to define a default ppd for printers that are not
defined in ~/.wine/config?

I tried something like

"*"="somewhat.ppd"

but this does not help.

In addition it is very critical to have not defined an entry for one
of the printers which is found by wine. I do not have the chance to
print or setup printing in a windows app, if there are printcap
printer and not a ppd file defined in config.

So I have given all printers the same ppd file although I do not want
to use most of them.

> >4.
> >Why does the former installed Wine PostScript Driver does not work
> >anymore?
>
> Huh, it still should?

I did not have any success. I have used the wineps.drv method before
in the way it was described in the printing manual - means: made the
additions to the system reg (from psdrv.reg) and the changes
to the windows win.ini manually.

This wineps driver can be choosed from the printer choose dialog in a
win app but a setup of this printer or a printing on this one isn´t
possible.

I do not need this driver in future so I have deleted the driver from
my wine registry and the win.ini.

I think the new way is a better way handling wine printing but little
approvements should be made:

- only those printer from printcap which have a valid ppd file should
be used.

- the default printer from win.ini and/or system.reg should be
honoured. (Why are the default entries in both files different? I can
change the registry entry manually without having any effect.)

Good work.

Wines job is made better and better although there are little
problems left.

--

Gruss Marcus

Marcus Roeckrath -- Vikarsbusch 8 -- D-48308 Senden -- Germany
Phone  : +49-2536-9944 -- Mailer/BBS/Fax : +49-2536-9943 (V34, X75)
FidoNet: 2:2449/523
E-Mail : marcus.roeckrath at gmx.de
WWW    : http://home.foni.net/~marcusroeckrath/