wine sound freezes system

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Thu May 17 14:19:55 CDT 2001

Bernhard Mogens Ege wrote:

> I was wondering if anything in wine could crash the system? I believe
> not, but I have this problem since I upgraded to kernel 2.4.3: I am
> running winamp through wine and usually within one song, the system
> freezes. At first I suspected my X server (not sure wether AGP is
> enabled or not) so I ran wine/winamp on my machine and displayed on a
> windows box using xwin32. I had X locally shut down. The system still
> crashed. Ok, I did use the 0.9.0beta4 ALSA sound drivers which could
> have such errors, so I tried the kernel sound driver instead (ymfpci)
> and still remote display. wine/winamp still caused a system
> freeze. The I tried a non-wine player, xmms as well as mpg123. Both
> played several songs (xmms still playing).
>
> Just when the system freezes, I hear a very short period of harddisk
> activity, but nothing is printed on the console.
>
> wine is from april 18. with the Transgamimg patch (may 7.) applied.
>
> I don't know how to continue searching for the bug. Any ideas?
>
> It does look lige a kernel bug to me.

    No solution, but another data point.  I have two systems with
Alsa (0.5.10b generally), with the VIA686 codec, and on both of them
I can fairly consistently get a process hung inside an open call
in the Alsa driver (only with Wine).  For me, I don't lose my system,
I simply have to reboot in order to recapture sound.

    I discussed this in substantial detail with Ulrich Weigand on
wine-devel,
and we came closer to understanding the problem, but we have
not resolved it.

    At any rate, I don't think that's enormously helpful, but
you should know that you're not alone.

    Jeremy