makefile converter

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu May 17 15:33:28 CDT 2001

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Joseph Krauze wrote:

> Hey,
> 	Does anyone know of any VC++ to UNIX/LINUX makefile converter?  If
> there is anything in the works or should I just bit the bullet and write
> my own script?

   There's winemaker. It will not make use of your existing makefiles
but instead create whole new ones based on its understanding of the
sources (it will also rename your existing Makefiles to Makefile.win32
to not overwrite them). See the Winelib User Guide for more information
on winemaker:

   http://wine.codeweavers.com/docs/winelib-user/

   But I'm curious. What kind of Makefiles do you have? Did you write
them by hand or did you generate them from a VC++ project (.dsp)?

   Writing a tool to handle any makefile would be pretty hard /
impossible. One impossible thing: a few years ago I wrote a windows
makefile that was using rsh to start a script on a Unix machine to
calculate the source file dependencies (gcc -M). I doubt you can write a
script to handle this kind of thing. Of course it's an extreme case and
with some hard work you can probably do something useful. winemaker is a
proof of that: it does not handle everything, far from it, but I want to
believe it is useful anyway.
   What would be more feasible is a to extend winemaker to parse dsp
files and generate the appropriate Makefiles.

   Whatever you write it would be interesting to try to integrate it
with winemaker. Ultimately winemaker should automatically pick the most
reliable source of information it finds: .dsp, makefile or source
analysis.

  Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
                               -- Barry LePatner