[ANN] new rpms for SuSE uploaded

Manfred H. Winter mahowi at gmx.net
Sun May 20 06:29:33 CDT 2001

Pifias <jluiscanales-estosobra at eresmas.net> wrote:

>> Hi!
>>
>> I've uploaded new rpms for SuSE 7.1 on my download page
>> http://www.mahowi.de/download/. It's the CVS snapshot of May, 14.

> I downloaded and tried to use the previous version you had on your web. I
> did a backup of all my wine configuration in /etc and /home and then I used
> the same configuration files I had with the new version. The result was
> that programs launched with wine crashed suddenly after about 20 seconds of
> working. The only error message was "Resource temporarily not available"
> and I think it was an error output of my system and not a wine message
> since the message was in Spanish, that is the language I use on my SuSE.

> I had to come back to my SuSE's version of wine to continue using Agent and
> Getright.

> What is the right way to update my wine?. Should I overwrite the files in
> /etc/opt/wine with the old ones I have now in /etc and seem to work OK?.
> Was there any mistake on the rpms you updated previously or was it a
> problem of my system?.

The configuration files in the rpm are the standard ones that come with
wine. I've only fixed the paths to afm-files. But AFAIK there were some
changes in configuration since the version SuSE provides.

It seems that newer wine versions don't look for config files in a
global directory (here: /etc/opt/wine) but only in your ~.wine
directory. So you should look at the files in /etc/opt/wine for changes
and apply them to your config files. Also have a look at "man
wine.conf".

> I would try to use some programs that actually don't work on the wine
> version I have (the one in SuSE 7.1 CDs).

For my latest rpm, you have to install CUPS. Seems wine has used
libcups.so.2 during compilation.

Bye,

Manfred
--
 /"\                        | PGP-Key available at Public Key Servers
 \ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | or "http://www.mahowi.de/pgp/mahowi.asc"