Final Fantasy VIII works, but sound choppy.

Martin Moeller martin_moeller at technologist.com
Mon May 21 17:03:26 CDT 2001

Hey Folks.

I've been playing FF8 in Linux the last few days (Software Rendering). Don't
think it ever worked accelerated in windows either, though (GeForce card).

The graphics keep a fair pace and everything would be good, if it weren't
for the choppy sound. It seems to make a smal pause about once a second or
so (when I'm lucky, the music plays without interruptions for 15-30
seconds).

If gives a series of outputs like this:
::SmEffectChange(filename=x:\jppc\sound\effect\event\wave\wave0870.dat)
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\A0STG047.X
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\B0WAVE.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\C0M017.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\D9C019.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\D9W037.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\D8C017.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\D8W035.DAT
err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne underrun on sound buffer 0x4c6d2d14
err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne underrun on sound buffer 0x4c6d2d14
fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixCancel prebuffer cancel not implemented yet
fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixCancel prebuffer cancel not implemented yet
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\MAG184_D.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\MAG184_E.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\MAG184_F.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\MAG184_G.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\MAG184_H.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\MAG184_I.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\A8DEF.TIM
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\D8C017.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\D8W035.DAT
smPcRead::\ff8\data\eng\battle\R0WIN.DAT

In the FullMotionVideos, the whole thing moves in chunks. It works well for
around 5 seconds, then it halts, then it goes on again... Otherwise the
graphics is great. No anomalies in the FMV's and very few in the usual
gameplay.

This is with UseDGA=N (when I tried UseDGA=Y my machine became inoperable).
I haven't tried any 'hacks' to make wine not output all this information
(mostly because I've forgotten what those were ;)) - But overall I'm
impressed to see this work so well. Battled several Bosses and changed disc
(umounting and mounting in a console session as i do not have an automated
method running currently). I've tried it without have GNOME running (bare-
bones X-Server + xterm) and with GNOME running, the choppy factor seems to
be about the same.

Are there some particular parameters I should try to make a meaningful
report?

This is posted from a Windows News Reader running under Wine as well ;).
XNews -- Quite good actually, when Pan is missing a feature, such as
composing a message (not quite the latest version, but thereabout).

Anyway -- Congratulations to all who have worked on making Wine what it is.
It seems we're getting close to actually running the games I really care
about ;)

Regards,

/Martin Moeller.