ICQ2000b

Jan-Fredrik Braseth janfbr at grotte.ifi.uio.no
Tue May 22 05:06:19 CDT 2001

Andreas Mohr <zstkyu9001 at sneakemail.com> writes:

> Jan-Fredrik Braseth <janfbr at grotte.ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>
> > Have anybody been able to run ICQ2000b with wine? I need
> > this because I'm behand a firewall that won't accept UDP,
> > and as far as I know no ICQ-clone for linux can do only
> > tcp/ip as ICQ2000b
> AFAIK most Linux ICQ clients are Open Source, no ?
> Do you know what *open* means ?
>
> Get some RFCs for proxy access, start hacking and get it done !
>
> There have been numerous complaints already that they don't support it,
> so why does nobody ever finally get it and start adding support for it ??
>
> Open Source software is not only a privilege, it's also a certain
> moral obligation as soon as you use it IMHO.
> Too bad too many people don't (want to) realize this...
>
> Andreas Mohr
>
> P.S.: Yes, I started debugging/fixing ICQ2000b, and it nearly works,
> but I really don't see why we'd always want to use "emulated" software
> instead of the "real" (possibly better !) thing...

Too bad I'm not a good enough programmer to do this. I would love it if
for example licq would help us poor bastards behind a firewall (actually
I have mailed them telling about the problem), but this doesn't seems to
happen anytime soon. So I'm just basically grasping for straws by trying
to wine ICQ2000b :)

--
Jan-Fredrik Braseth		www.ifi.uio.no/~janfbr/
2B|!2B