wine crashing X11

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed May 23 14:23:48 CDT 2001

On 22 May 2001, Jon Piesing wrote:

> Jon Piesing <jon at eddie.is.prl.research.philips.com> wrote:
> : Michael Torrie <torriem at nobyu.spamedu> wrote:
> : : I found that sometimes wine will crash the font server (xfs) which will
> : : then eventually cause X to crash as well.  I fixed it by putting all my
> : : fontdir information in the XF86Config file itself, and not run a separate
> : : font server.
>
> I've just found that this is in fact already in the codeweavers wine
> bugs database as bug #92. The suggestion there to remove truetype fonts
> from the X server stopped wine crashing here. Unfortunately I do rather
> need them to try & make text look better (sigh).

   Is it the presence of any TTF font that will crash the font server,
or specific true-type fonts?
   Can you try removing all the fonts but one (e.b. by moving the others
to another directory), and then adding back the font path containing the
true-type fonts. If that works, then you can try adding more fonts and
by dychotomy you should find which one(s) cause problems (and maybe
you'll even be able to use the fonts you need most).

 The greatest programming project of all took six days; on the seventh day the
  programmer rested. We've been trying to debug the *&^%$#@ thing ever since.
                      Resume: design before you implement.