Windows programs not creating directories

Jado jado at nospam.jado.org
Fri Nov 2 15:32:08 CST 2001

In article <3be3167a.35182750 at news.nerim.net>, "gerard patel"
<g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid> wrote:
> I have never heard of a similar bug.
> It could be a bug specific to the applications that you are using. Or
> you are thinking that the apps can't create directories while it is
> another problem in fact - many recent installation programs are failing.
>
> If you want to get more information, run with -debugmsg
> +relay,+dosfs,+file yourapp.exe &>yourtrace.txt and post here the 200
> last lines before the first occurence of the directory name in the
> trace.

Apologies for the last post, it was a little lacking in detail, I guess
I'm just really tired today. I'll post that part of the trace later on
tonight or tomorrow (got to dash just now)

Anyway, a  little more info before I go, I'm running RH7.2 latest Wine
build (not from CVS, the tarball from the site) and I'm trying to install
Ultima Online from CD, as I say I can get it working by creating all the
directories manually but when I go to install to c:\ program files\ultima
online\ (which doesn't exist) it says nothing and just keeps prompting
for a directory... When I try the same but remove the trailing slash it
gives me the message

"Specified directory does not exist, would you like to create it"-Yes/No

Doesn't matter what I click though, it won't create it. If I create the
dir manually, the installer will proceed but bombs out as soon as it
needs to create a subdirectory.

I'm sure this isn't the only CD I've had this problem with but I can't
think of any others just now (maybe I'm wrong and it's just the UO
installer :) - I'll try it with some other stuff when I get back and if
they behave the same, I'll post the trace.