Wine err: dosfs:DRIVE_ReadSuperblock The Filesystem is not FAT !!

Andreas Mohr Usenet 10/01 a31dgo001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Nov 7 07:11:56 CST 2001

min-ra <sminra at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi folks, I've been trying to get WINE to run on my new mandrake 8.0
> box for _four_ _months_.

> Every version of WINE gives me:

> err:dosfs:DRIVE_ReadSuperblock The filesystem is not FAT !!
> (device=/dev/hda1)

> when I try to run an app that opens/closes files (e.g. notepad.exe).
> Software that doesn't use files runs fine (calc.exe)

> I can read/write to the partition /dev/hda1 just fine... here's the
> fstab entry:

> /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat
> user,exec,suid,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

> Here's the wine config entry

> [Drive C]
> "Path" = "/mnt/win_c"
> "Type" = "hd"
> "Label" = "C"
> "Device" = "/dev/hda1"
> "FS" = "win95"
First, this is not a severe problem.
Second, could you please send me the boot block of your partition ?
Just do a
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=bootblock count=1
and mail me bootblock.
Something seems to be different/broken in this bootblock.

Oh, and you normally don't really need to add a device for HDDs anyway,
as it isn't used too often normally.

As this is not a severe problem, I'd check other stuff for problems.

Good luck ! :)

--
Andreas Mohr, Renningen, Germany
In case you need to contact me after expiry of temporary email address: