trying to create a WinNT rescue disk

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Thu Nov 8 23:34:39 CST 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Jim Morash wrote:

> I've tried --winver, and it doesn't seem to have any effect... oh
> well. I'm not sure how to go about exporting the registry, but
> presumably I can look this up in the wine docs somewhere, I'll have a
> look.

It only matters if the app cares, and behaves differently depending what
answer it gets.  Exporting the registry is a windose function, so look
in your windose doco 8-D. :-(.

> It looks like that's what happened (lilo overwriting the MBR), but I'm
> not really sure that's it, because the bootloader does run, it just
> crashes. I currently have grub chainloading the NT bootloader, and I can
> choose NT from a menu, NT begins booting, then BSOD.
>
> I inherited this machine from someone else, have had to reinstall linux
> because this person failed to install security patches and it got
> hacked, and while reinstalling discovered an NTFS partiton that hadn't
> been touched in ages... presumably because it wouldn't boot... but a
> dual boot would be nice to have, and I have the login/password
> necesssary to get into NT if I can get it running. I would just
> reinstall but - well it's a long story but it's not a good option right
> now.
>
> I guess really what I'm most interested in is why rdisk.exe can't see
> the floppy drive, which is why I'm bugging the wine list/group at all :)
>
> thanks
> --Jim
> jmorash at mit.edu

Maybe not.  Make a linux boot floppy.  Now, depending how comfortable
you are with the command line,

Not very:

/sbin/lilo -u

Some:

lilo saves the boot sector before it replaces it, by default in
/boot/boot.ddmm (dd is the major device #, mm the minor, so the boot
sector it replaced on /dev/hda is in /boot/boot.0300, if it was ever
installed in /dev/hda (<linux>/Documentation/devices.txt, <lilo>/README)
You can use dd to copy this back over the MBR, and maybe be able to boot
NT, but not linux any more.  that is why I told you to make a linux boot
floppy.

I understand why you can't reinstall.  If you can fix something in Wine
because I helped you use the old install, that is no harm, is it?

Lawson

panic: detected rogue system administrator!!
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.