Good free Web Graphics Progmans

Rudolf Polzer adsgohere at durchnull.de
Tue Nov 13 10:30:12 CST 2001

Daeron <daeronREMOVE at THISfandom.net> wrote:
>  Rudolf Polzer wrote:
> > Daeron <daeronREMOVE at THISfandom.net> wrote:
> >> >
> >>   Does Gimp have a animated Gif engine that allows you to spin, rotate,
> >>  srink, grow, fade, picture elements? No.
> > PSP cannot do this, too - it has to be done with animation shop pro.
>   Embellish does.
>
> >>   Does Gimp provide an interactive quality display of save-as functions?
> >>   No.
> > It does. Save as JPEG and you'll see.
>
>   Save a Jpeg in Embellish and you'll see what I mean
>    - in Gimp by moving windows around and using your photographic memory you
>  sort of get the same tool as Embellish offers.

You shouldn't run Gimp in 640x480, 1024x768 is minimum. Using a good window
manager the two windows normally do not overlap. But you're right, GIMP's
JPEG export window is /a bit/ oversized.

> >>   Does Gimp have a directory thumnail creation function? I don't think
> >>   so.
> >
> > It does. Or do you mean printing a thumbnail index? Then a simple
> > perl script that uses convert will do.
> >
>   Using two more programs and writing scripts each time.

That's UNIX... you do not use all-in-one programs in UNIX, you
use multiple tools.

For example, in shell scripts you often use find, grep, xargs etc.
Those are external programs!

> >>   So I was just wondering if anyone knew of some other worthwhile apps
> >>   that together might help fill some of the holes Gimp etc. leave.
> >
>   If you're interested in graphics, I think you should have a look at
>  Embellish, run it on either an OS/2 or a MS-Windows platform.

Using Gimp and convert, I've got everything I need.

--
2.4.5 in Documentation/MAINTAINERS:
  THE REST