Cannot install/run very important application

Norbert Zawodsky norbert at zawodsky.at
Tue Nov 13 13:19:11 CST 2001

Hello everybody!

I've got a big problem: In my small business I use a Home-banking
software which I got
from my bank. Using it for many years now, it became very very important
for me.
Needless to say, it's a Windows software. Up to now, it was a Win 3.1
software which ran inside the Windows-Box of my ancient OS/2-PC. (The
only reason
why I still have this PC runnig OS/2).

This summer I got the new version which is a WIN-98 (I think). So I
cannot use it
on OS/2. I tried to install it under Wine on SuSE Linux 7.2 but it
didn't work. Another
difference between old an new is, that the old one does a direct
communictation
to the bank's computer via Modem, the new one uses the internet. The
modem access
will be revoked with 1st December so time is running out.

Yesterday I downloaded wine 20011108 and tried it but I have still the
same problem:

The installation starts, I click through some info-screens but when the
actual
installation-process begins, a message box pops up. Title: "Visual Basic
6.0"
Text: "Ungültiges Bild" ('invalid picture' in english).

I asked a friend to install it on his windows machine and then just send
me the
installed files. BUt when I tried to start the banking application the
same
message box pops up again.

So is ther anybody out ther who can help me? Which debugmessages shall
turn on? Maybe it's just a problem with some builtin/native DLLs...

Norbert