Good free Web Graphics Progmans

Daeron daeronREMOVE at THISfandom.net
Tue Nov 13 18:39:23 CST 2001

Ian Molton wrote:
> On a sunny Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:12:50 +1100 Daeron gathered a sheaf of
> electrons and etched in their motions the following immortal words:
>
>> Craig Chandler wrote:
>> > I thought wine ran on linux in which case gimp would be a great choice.
>> > Gimp also has a windows binary that you could run using wine on linux
>> > (haven't tried it though)
>>
>>  1) My 12 & 10 year old nieces would find most paint programs easier to
> use than Gimp.
>
> GIMP isnt /for/ 10 and 12 year olds.
>
> and FWIW, my 6 year old can use it. what school are your nieces going to?
>
> I think we're being TROLLED here.

 no, I ask a perfectly civil question and instead I get a bunch of people
telling me that I should be using Gimp instead.
 I've no doubt that my nieces can learn to use Gimp, which is why it's on
there; but I'd like to demonstrate that OpenSource can provide more options
than Windows, *not* less. You do look like a TROLL searching for threads to
cause trouble in. If you knew anything about the Graphics applications
market then you would know that there is actually a shortage of good
X-Windows bitmap image softwear  - ironically probably due to Gimp
intimidating anyone from starting a fresh project.

 One of the many things that would be cool would be if one of those people
I'm speculating got scared away instead realised in time that the Gimp
engine is available as a library and they could just build their own UI to
it, and add whatever extra features they have have in mind. - everything I
& many others love, re-use of mature code, different & fresh UI concepts.