Good free Web Graphics Progmans

Lee Sau Dan danlee at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Nov 16 01:48:00 CST 2001

    Daeron>  1) My 12 & 10 year old nieces would find most paint
    Daeron> programs easier to use than Gimp.

So?  What does that mean?

Tools  are tools.   Toys are  toys.  Toys  are trivial  (well...  some
aren't, indeed) to  use.  Tools require learning to  be used properly.
Toys are for recreation.  Tools  are for productivity.  Why are people
nowadays educated to equate tools with toys?

    Daeron> 2) No person should be
    Daeron> limited to one tool. I know for my own use Gimp is often
    Daeron> worse than useless,

I find GIMP very friendly,  because it offers a scripting facility for
me to write simple scripts to  do things in batch.  That means I don't
have to  sit down  in front  of the screen  pointing and  clicking for
hours to do  something repeatedly for 100 jpeg files.   I just write a
script,  test and  debug it  with one  or 2  files, and  then  let the
computer  go over  all the  100  files over  the night  --- while  I'm
asleep.

    Daeron> because it can do something but not in
    Daeron> any staight forward manner.

I like a  GTK feature: Select a menu item  without activating it (hold
the mouse  button down), then press Ctrl-A.   Then, Ctrl-A immediately
becomes a short-cut of that menu  item.  This makes it so easy to bind
short-cut keys to any menu I can access with the mouse!

    Daeron> You have to remember the six
    Daeron> steps & which directions to jump , which in other
    Daeron> applications takes one step. You can waste an hour trying
    Daeron> to figure how to do something that takes 15seconds in many
    Daeron> other apps.

And than  save hundreds of hours  on repeating the same  task over and
over.

    Daeron> Whichever the reason is realyy doesn't
    Daeron> matter, I don't understand why you feel it is neccessary
    Daeron> to force everyone on the planet to use Gimp. There's a lot
    Daeron> of stuff in Gimp, *but* *not* everything,

Almost anything  it lacks can  be implemented with some  simple scheme
code.

    Daeron> and it's
    Daeron> interface leaves alot to be desired. Do I now have
    Daeron> permision to ask if anyone knows of some interesting
    Daeron> Windows graphics programs to try under wine?

But than  trying GIMP (Win32 port)  under wine is an  odd idea, unless
you're  testing, debugging  or  benchmarking wine.   Why  not run  the
native version?   Does the  Win32 port of  GIMP provide  more features
than a native GIMP?

--
Lee Sau Dan                     §õ¦u´°(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee at informatik.uni-freiburg.de