Problems with serial comm

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Sun Nov 18 10:17:43 CST 2001

Hi!
  I'm new to this list as well to Wine, so please excuse me if I'm asking a FAQ.
  Today I installed wine-20011108, especially to be able to run programs I need
for my work.
  One of them is a remote front panel to the measuring instrument, which
communicates with it using a modem connection.
  This program cannot establish a connection. It accesses the modem, its LEDs
blink, but no dialling takes place, the modem remains idle. The program fails
with a message box saying that the modem connection failed.
  When I try to change the speed on the line, the modem sees it (it's
a SupraSonic with LCD so I can see a serial cable speed), it changes accordingly.
It means that AT commands are sent to the modem. However, the program probably
doesn't receive the OK response so it aborts on an init string.
  When I use kermit to connect to the modem, turn off the DTR tracking to keep
the modem online after quitting kermit and dial the instrument manually, I can
see its data. After starting the program configured for direct link, it simply
tells that the equipment is not present.
  My feeling is that the program can freely write to the line but it cannot
read it.
  In the log created with --debugmsg +comm, I can see lines
warn:comm:SetCommState DSR/DTR flow control not supported
 - may this be a problem ?
  I can send the log to the person which is capable to analyze the problem.

                                    With regards, Pavel Troller