Problems with serial comm

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Nov 18 13:52:23 CST 2001

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Pavel Troller wrote:

> Hi!
>   I'm new to this list as well to Wine, so please excuse me if I'm asking a FAQ.
>   Today I installed wine-20011108, especially to be able to run programs I need
> for my work.
>   One of them is a remote front panel to the measuring instrument, which
> communicates with it using a modem connection.
>   This program cannot establish a connection. It accesses the modem, its LEDs
> blink, but no dialling takes place, the modem remains idle. The program fails
> with a message box saying that the modem connection failed.
>   When I try to change the speed on the line, the modem sees it (it's
> a SupraSonic with LCD so I can see a serial cable speed), it changes accordingly.
> It means that AT commands are sent to the modem. However, the program probably
> doesn't receive the OK response so it aborts on an init string.
>   When I use kermit to connect to the modem, turn off the DTR tracking to keep
> the modem online after quitting kermit and dial the instrument manually, I can
> see its data. After starting the program configured for direct link, it simply
> tells that the equipment is not present.
>   My feeling is that the program can freely write to the line but it cannot
> read it.
>   In the log created with --debugmsg +comm, I can see lines
> warn:comm:SetCommState DSR/DTR flow control not supported
>  - may this be a problem ?

Only if the equipment relies on it.  You get this letter by wine from an
app that provokes that warning, but works using RTS/CTS flow control
anyway.

>   I can send the log to the person which is capable to analyze the problem.
>
>                                     With regards, Pavel Troller

You may well miss some comm activity with only the comm traces.  Try
--debugmsg +comm,+file

If you can't make any sense out of it, maybe I can.  Mike McCormack has
done most of the work on comms lately, but there is still some code you
can blame me for in there.  gzip compresses traces quite nicely.  If it
is an interesting or puzzling trace, you may as well send Mike a copy
too, but keep it under 1mb or it will come bouncing back.

Lawson

Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em.
And little fleas have smaller fleas and so on, infinitem.