Wine and ntfs

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Nov 19 10:55:48 CST 2001

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Tim Janssen wrote:

> I am trying to use wine on a double boot system with NTFS on the windows
> (2000) end of the disk. Does Wine support this? Although Wine appears to
> be installed properly I can't get any win-apps running.
>
> Tim

Aint up to wine whether you can write on an ntfs partition, wine relies
on the *nix OS services for that.  Show me a windows app that will run
on a read-only FS.

You might get some relief using a technique of shadowing described in
<wine>/documentation/installing.sgml, even the doco is obsolete wrt the
name of ~/.wine/config, and looks like it spells /c_/ in places when it
means /c/.  Also you will need to change the config file a bit:

; Wine doesn't pass directory symlinks to Windows programs by default.
; Enabling this may crash some programs that do recursive lookups of a whole
; subdir tree in case of a symlink pointing back to itself.
"ShowDirSymlinks" = "1"

You are probably better off with a no-windows installation.  With
Microsoft, the general rule is, the newer, the nastier.

Lawson
---oof---