Faking system time

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Nov 21 17:40:47 CST 2001

| Hello all.
|
| I am trying to use WINE to make a windoze-only development environment
| (very rudimentar, command line cross-compiler and stuff) under Linux,
| because GNU make is far superior from the M$'s 'nmake'.

gcc is a better compiler, too.
| Since I am now running it under WINE (yeah! it *almost* works great),
| I wonder if it is possible to hack wine so it tells the executed
| program some different date and time (changing systime in Linux tends
| to wreak havoc with makefiles and stuff)
|
| Can someone point out where the unix-to-windoze sysdate translation
| is done so I can hack it?

Why would you think it would be in just one place?  I don't know the API
very well, but it is my impression that it is a mass of specialized
hacks.  There are probably 8192 date formats and 262144 functions to get
some or all of them by.

See for yourself:

find <wine> -name '*.c' | xargs grep gettimeofday

Lest you get discouraged, gettimeofday in the server is _probably_ for
its own internal use, so this might be a morereasonable list:

find <wine> -name '*.c' | xargs grep gettimeofday | grep -v server

| TIA
|
| --
|
| -- SNIP --
|
| "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"

| G. Andrade                   | | Ibiz Tecnologia                      |
| | eduardo at ibiz.com.br                  | | 5579-3178 r 224

You could, of course, just LD_PRELOAD your own gettimeofday, but I bet
it would play almost as much hob with file times as changing the system
time would.

Lawson

Oh, what a tangled web we weave
when first we practice to deceive.