WINE ASPI support and my Polaroid SprintScan 35 Plus

gerard patel g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid
Thu Nov 22 21:29:22 CST 2001

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:56:38 -0600, "Mark A. Haun" <markhaun at uiuc.edu>
wrote:

>The wine log (with --debugmsg +aspi) looks like this:
>
>trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Vendor: IBM      Model: DCAS-34330W
>   Rev: S65A
>trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Type:   Direct-Access
>   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
>trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Vendor: POLAROID Model: 35MM
>   Rev: 5.94
>trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Type:   Scanner
>   ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I think that what you see here is the reading of Linux /proc
information by Wine aspi emulation. It seems that Linux is
perfectly aware of the Scanner indeed.

>trace:aspi:GetASPISupportInfo16 GETASPISupportInfo16

AFAICT this command does not access the device (scanner)
in any way.

>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd {
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   EVPD: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   LUN: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   PAGE CODE: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   ALLOCATION LENGTH: 36
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   CONTROL: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd }
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Host Adapter: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Flags: 0
>warn:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd    Transfer by scsi cmd. Length not checked
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Residual byte length reporting disabled
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Linking disabled
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Posting disabled
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Target: 4
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Lun: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufLen: 36
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd SenseLen: 18
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufPtr: 3e70000 (0x403b15bc)
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd LinkPointer 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd CDB Length: 6
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd POST Proc: 0
>CDB buffer[12,00,00,00,24,00]

Here is an INQUIRY command I think.

>trace:aspi:ASPI_OpenDevice16 Opening device
>Software\Wine\Wine\Config\scsi c0t4d0=/dev/sg1

Wine open the device.

>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintResult Vendor: '/'

Here is the result : vendor name '/'. That seems the
problem here ...

>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd {
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   EVPD: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   LUN: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   PAGE CODE: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   ALLOCATION LENGTH: 36
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   CONTROL: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd }
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Host Adapter: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Flags: 0
>warn:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd    Transfer by scsi cmd. Length not checked
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Residual byte length reporting disabled
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Linking disabled
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Posting disabled
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Target: 5
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Lun: 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufLen: 36
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd SenseLen: 18
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufPtr: 3e70000 (0x403b15bc)
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd LinkPointer 0
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd CDB Length: 6
>trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd POST Proc: 0
>CDB buffer[12,00,00,00,24,00]

Another INQUIRY command for target 5

>trace:aspi:ASPI_OpenDevice16 Trying to open unlisted scsi device
>Software\Wine\Wine\Config\scsi c0t5d0

Fails, device not exists.

>Ok, conclusions:  With every configuration that I have tried, the
>scanner works fine using VueScan, a shareware Linux application that
>supports some features of my scanner.  No errors appear in the log file
>as the scanner is operated.  Thus, the problem has to reside in the WINE
>ASPI support.

Another strangeness is that the Linux layer sees a 87 command.
No trace of that in Aspi trace...

>  This looks like something for one of the WINE ASPI-gurus
>to look at---I don't know what the debug messages are saying.

Unfortunately the last Aspi guru has not shown on any Wine
list since at least one month I think :-/

Gerard