printing and wine

Toby Haynes thaynes at ca.ibm.com
Thu Nov 29 10:07:55 CST 2001

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, medbi01_1 at accpac.com wrote:
> "Richard Canada" <richard.canada at mrlinternational.com> wrote in message
> news:3C054D3A.3020201 at mrlinternational.com...
>> Does anybody have some up-to-date instructions on getting wine to print?
>> I am trying to get Lotus Notes 5.0.6 to print, but I get no printers
>> selected. Please help!!!

Printing certainly does work from Lotus Notes using Wine - I have five printers
set up from Notes.

> First make sure you can print a postscript file from Linux.

i.e. lpr -Pprinter_name test.ps produces output

> Then find a suitable ppd file for your printer (that may be the hard part)

... and put it somewhere that Wine can see it. (see below)

Then fix the entries in the your ~/.wine/config. Here's the printer part from
my setup. (My printers are named ps1, ps1c, ps1lgl, etc...). You must get
the path to the ppdfile absolutely correct - case must match your UNIX pathname.

[spooler]
"LPT1:" = "|lpr -Pps1"
"LPT2:" = "|lpr -Pps1c"
"LPT3:" = "|lpr -Pps1lgl"
"LPT4:" = "|lpr -Pps1h"
"LPT5:" = "|lpr -Pps1tab"

[psdrv]
"ppdfile" = "/home/thaynes/c/Windows/Printer/IBM/InfoPrint20PS/ibm43241.ppd"

> Then add suitable entries to the registry

Here is one entry for the first printer as an example - stick these into a file
(say ~/psdrv.reg)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Wine ps1]
"Attributes"="dword:00000000"
"Default Devmode"=
"Name"="Wine ps1"
"Port"="LPT1:"
"Print Processor"="WinPrint"
"Printer Driver"="PS Driver"
"Priority"="dword:00000000"
"Start Time"="dword:00000000"
"Status"="dword:00000000"
"Until Time"="dword:00000000"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\Wine ps1\PrinterDriverData]
"Paper Size"=dword:00000001

and then add them to your registry using the regapi program in your wine package.

i.e. from my dev directory, I might type:

    ./wine-20010326/programs/regapi/regapi setValue < ~/psdrv.reg

assuming that the psdrv.reg file is in my home dir.

> Then add suitable entries to the win.ini

So my win.ini (~/c/Windows/win.ini) has the following section:

[devices]
Wine PostScript Driver=WINEPS,LPT1:
Wine ps1=WINEPS,LPT1:
Wine ps1c=WINEPS,LPT2:
Wine ps1lgl=WINEPS,LPT3:
Wine ps1h=WINEPS,LPT4:
Wine ps1tab=WINEPS,LPT5:

[windows]
device=Wine PostScript Driver,WINEPS,LPT1:
device=Wine ps1,WINEPS,LPT1:
device=Wine ps1c,WINEPS,LPT2:
device=Wine ps1lgl,WINEPS,LPT3:
device=Wine ps1h,WINEPS,LPT4:
device=Wine ps1tab,WINEPS,LPT5:

> Then test.

Cross your fingers.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes
--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do