wine on redhat 7.2

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Nov 29 14:26:00 CST 2001

Dan Kegel wrote:

> Don Smouse Jr wrote:
> >
> > does anyone know where and how i can get a good wine program to download
> > for my redhat 7.2?, i have tried the codeweavers,and when i try to
> > configure wine it says wine2k has detected /etc/wine/wine.conf is writable
> > and that its trying to set it up globaly which is not supported.
>
> Red Hat 7.2 comes with Wine.  You may need to install it from the CD, e.g.
> insert disk 2, then
> # rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/wine-20010822-1.i386.rpm

To continue with "How to use the wine that comes with RH7.2":

After installing wine, each user needs to create a .wine/config file.

Read 'man wine' and 'man wine.conf', and see e.g.
http://www.la-sorciere.de/Wine-HOWTO/configsystem.html and
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/09/21/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=3

Red Hat does provide an example config file, somewhere.
$ locate config | grep wine
shows
/usr/share/doc/wine-20010822/samples/config

So the first step is
$ mkdir ~/.wine
$ cp /usr/share/doc/wine-20010822/samples/config .wine

then you have to edit it to tell it where drives A and C are.

Too bad Red Hat didn't make this easier!
- Dan