wine exits to debugger immediately. Searching for dll files?

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Thu Nov 29 18:58:39 CST 2001

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 jkreager at excite.com wrote:

> I compiled and installed wine using the ./tools/wineinstall script
> without any modifications.  It built and installed without indicating
> problems.  When I attempt to run any program wine drops into the
> debugger immediately.  When I run with --debugmsg warn+all I get the
> following trace which I have copied in part.  I gather that wine is
> searching for the following dll's: ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll,
> advapi32.dll, gdi32.dll, x11drv.dll all under the dll extension name.
> These don't exist on my machine as I have a wine only install.  They
> are all *.so files obviously.  Is this really the problem?  I tried

No.  --debugmsg warn+dosfs is mostly noise.  Many newbies find it
confusing.  I find it confusing.  If Wine doesn't find libntdll.so, it
will fail immediately, without making any traces at all:

wine --version
wine: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
wine --debugmsg warn+all
wine: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

I had better put libntdll.so back now or I will not be able to mail
this.

I just wrote a nice bit of ad hoc doco on builtin dll's in
wine-users/cemw in the thread on System DLLs and I'm not going to do it
again.

If you want to debug a problem, run with --debugmsg +relay so you (or
we) can tell what the app was trying to do when it went wrong.  Don't
post the whole thing, but maybe 500 lines of context before might be
useful.  Don't be afraid to gzip it.  Anybody who is interested to help
can gunzip it easily enough.

> linking these names to the correct *.so files under windows\system
> with no particular effect.

It won't work.  Wine's references to builtin dlls as FI kernel32.dll and
so on are a fiction for the benefit of windows apps.

>  I include my ~/.wine/config file after the
> partial trace.
>
> warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'x11drv.dll' not found in '/home/jkreager'
> warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'x11drv.dll' not found in '/usr/local/bin'
> warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'x11drv.dll' not found in '/usr/local/lib'
> wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
>
> warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler int22 not implemented, returning dummy handler
> warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler int23 not implemented, returning dummy handler
> warn:int:INT_GetPMHandler int24 not implemented, returning dummy handler
> warn:thunk:THUNK_InitCallout no 16-bit USER
> WineDbg starting...  on pid 8068ee0
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'wine' (0x0804a000)
> warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'wine' not found in '/home/jkreager/c/windows'
> warn:file:CreateFileA Unable to get full filename from 'wine' (GLE 2)
> warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName 'wine' not found in '/home/jkreager/c/windows'
> Can't find file for ELF '/home/jkreager/c/windows/wine' (0x00000000)
> *** Invalid address 0x80000000 (wine..data+0x77fb4000)
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'NTDLL.DLL' (0x4005a000)
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'KERNEL32.DLL' (0x40611000)
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'ADVAPI32.DLL' (0x40974000)
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'GDI32.DLL' (0x40914000)
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'USER32.DLL' (0x409b3000)
> Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x416de650 in 32-bit code (0x40009a9f).
> In 32-bit mode.
> 0x40009a9f (wine..data+0x37fbda9f): movw        0x0(%esi,%eax,2),%cx
> Wine-dbg>

Now is not the time to quit.  It's loaded all those symbols, at least
let it do a backtrace and some infos:

bt
info local
info reg

> quit
> quit
> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x401075a0 "syslevel.c: Win16Mutex" wait timed out, retrying (60 sec) fs=008f
> WineDbg terminated on pid 8068ee0
>
> TheWell:~/c/windows/$ wine --version
> Wine release 20011108

Lawson