int3d: unknown/not implemented parameters:

gerard patel g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid
Tue Oct 2 15:41:40 CDT 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 19:55:51 +0200, Mark Koek <mark at koek.net> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am trying to run my last Windoze app (proprietary banking software) under
>Wine, and it is *almost* there... however some functions fail, the program
>will pop up error boxes saying 'Type mismatch' and/or 'Invalid property
>value'. Sometimes this is no problem because the program just continues as
>normal. However, in other situations I'm stuck.

<snip errors>

These errors are probably not the reason for your
problems. Often there is no error message in the
console because error messages are output by
Wine when the programmers have thought in advance
of possible problems; however, programmers do not
always think in advance of possible problems.

It's only if the error messages on the console appear at
the same time that the application displays an error
message  that you can guess there is a relation.

If you want to try to fix Wine, the way to go is as follow :
- run with -debugmsg +relay yourprog.exe &>yourtracefile.txt
- make your problem appear (do the operation that triggers
a problem)
- end the app

the difficult part is then to cut a part of the trace that can
be reasonably posted to Usenet (200 lines) while holding
information sufficient for a contributor to find and fix the
problem. It is not always possible of course.
The trick is to search the trace file for the error message.
Often it will appear many times; cut 200 lines before the
first occurence of it and post the result.
It is quite frequent that this does not give any meaningful
info and this must be repeated until the problem is found
or someone (usually the initial poster) gives up.

There are alternatives to Wine :
- take another bank that do not rely on Windows software
- use a solution like vmware

HTH
Gerard