Internet connection detection

Michael Chasse jondays at netzero.com
Sat Oct 6 15:17:31 CDT 2001

Hi,

I'm trying to run a program called "Internet Call Waiting". This program
tells me when someone calls me on my phone line and give me the choice to
hang up to answer or to continue surfing. I'm able to load the program with
wine but the software stays in a "Waiting internet connection" state. What
puzzles me is that I'm able to emulate and use programs such as Terminal
(modem), cuteftp32, telnet, etc. and they work perfectly. I'm not saying
that I'm using those progs but I emulated them only for test purposes.

Here what it does in windows:
When I start the program, I have a little icon in the tray. The program is
waiting for internet connection (like icq) and when I'm online, the icon
turns green and I'm able to know when somebody calls me.

Here what it does in Linux:
Before starting the program, I make sure that my internet connection is
active. Then I make wine --managed CallWaiting.exe   The program loads
WITHOUT any error (even when I make wine --managed --debugmsg +relay
CallWaiting.exe) and I can see it in my tray. I can go in every menu of the
program, like in windows but the icon does not turn green, meaning that it
thinks that I'm not online.

I know that this program needs winsock2. In fact, when I make wine
--debugmsg + relay, I can see some calls to winsock with no erros in
return. With every call the program do to winsock, I see no error and the
program is still waiting for internet connection.

My system:
I'm running RedHat 7.1, with kde 2.1.1 on kernel release 2.4.2-2. My wine
is Wine release 20010824

If you need more informations (I'm sure you do), only tell me what I have
to do.

Thank you,

Michael Chasse