crash on priviledged instruction

Andreas Mohr Usenet 10/01 a31dgo001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Oct 10 07:13:59 CDT 2001

Uwe Bonnes <bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> Andreas Mohr Usenet 10/01 <a31dgo001 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

> :> The question now is: Where do the SI register become NULL? Is it a good
> :> choice to extend the relay logging by the register e.g. ES and SI? Or is it
> :> more likely that the code where the register becomes initialized is skipped?

> : It's NOT SI :-)

> : It's *ES*:SI.

> : --> Try to breakpoint winedbg on a location that's slightly *before* the
> : crash
> : (use --debugmsg +relay in order to find out a suitable address to break on),
> : and singlestep until the crash occurs. That way you'll hopefully find the
> : place
> : where a NULL pointer gets loaded into ES:SI.
> : Or maybe you can even definitely pinpoint the NULL pointer to a place in
> : the relay trace... (not too likely, though)

> I thought that the wine debugger is broken with 16 bit code and I didn't
> manage to set breakpoints or single step in 16 bit code since long...

Ah, crap, yes !

Well, in this case either fix winedbg/wine to use the WOW debugging
interface, or disassemble the program in order to find out what's wrong.
Or maybe even use a Wine version for debugging that doesn't have this problem.
(I think Wine 200004xx or earlier should do)

--
Andreas Mohr, Renningen, Germany
In case you need to contact me after expiry of temporary email address: