crash on priviledged instruction

eric pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Wed Oct 10 16:33:09 CDT 2001

Stefan Leichter wrote:

> Andreas Mohr Usenet 10/01 wrote:
>
> > Uwe Bonnes <bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> >
> >> I thought that the wine debugger is broken with 16 bit code and I didn't
> >> manage to set breakpoints or single step in 16 bit code since long...
> >
> > Ah, crap, yes !
> >
> > Well, in this case either fix winedbg/wine to use the WOW debugging
> > interface, or disassemble the program in order to find out what's wrong.
> > Or maybe even use a Wine version for debugging that doesn't have this
> > problem. (I think Wine 200004xx or earlier should do)
> >

> Any hints how/where to start fixing winedbg/wine (What does WOW mean)?
Windows on Windows... it's the way NT (for example) emulates Windows 16
bit API
by creating a specific subsystem
well, fixing this part would require very good knowledge of wine
internals
(server, debugger), and also unix signal handling and Win16&32 internal
API
if you want further information, I can give you the right pointers

> Or
> is there a good disassembler for linux (I don't have a windows box)?
the 16 bit disassembler in the debugger would do. what won't work is
single
stepping and setting breakpoints

A+