ttyS0 access

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sat Oct 13 20:53:14 CDT 2001

| Dear Mr. Lawson,
|
| 	Thank you for the information about devfs, I am studig it now.
| But the MPLAB cant open serial port yet. I did what you wrote me,
| inserting that lines at the end of devfs.conf, but nothing was change
| in /dev directory, there is /dev/tts/0 and /dev/tts/1 yet, and my
| program cant open it.

The lines in /etc/devfsd.conf (spelling counts) just make the changes
the System Administrator makes to the /dev/tts/ devices persist rather
than being reset to a default when a program such as Wine tries to open
a comm port - after you have rubbed devfsd's nose in them with a

killall -HUP devfsd

Then you need to set the permissions of the /dev/tts/ devices as you
want them, so your app can open the one[s] it needs.

Those /dev entries should look something like this:

ls -l --color=no /dev/ttyS1 /dev/ttyS3 /dev/tts
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            5 Oct  5 17:51 /dev/ttyS1 -> tts/1
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            5 Oct  5 17:51 /dev/ttyS3 -> tts/3

/dev/tts:
total 0
crw-rw----    1 root     uucp       4,  65 Dec 31  1969 1
crw-rw----    1 root     uucp       4,  67 Oct 13 21:09 3

Your devices will be different.  I have 1 and 3 on my machine, and only
use 3.  Users I allow to get at the serial ports are in group uucp, so
they get rw access that way:

[whit at giftie whit]$ groups
uucp

| 	I'll looking for problems in my application now, cause maybe
| exists any error and its installation or anythink about.
|
| 	The lines apears like I wrote yet, in the shell window where I
| open the wine.
|
| 	Thank you very much.
|
| 	Antonio

It that doesn't help, maybe

wine --debugmsg +comm,+file blah.exe 2>&1|tee logfile

will at least give you different error messages, which might tell me
what is wrong.

Or you could just give up and boot with the boot parameter
"devfs=nomount".  I _think_ that will disable devfs and give you back
your old /dev/ttyS* devices.  Maybe.

Lawson
---oof---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!