pc freezes when trying to load hl

Tilman Jeske t_jeske at gmx.de
Fri Oct 19 13:56:33 CDT 2001

hi there,

i read a lot here, but i didn't found any answer for my prolem:

my system is mandake 8.0 final
i compiled the wine-20010305 using ./configure --enable-opengl --prefix=/usr
then used make and after that make install. everything seems to work (i can
run the hl-installer).

so, now, when i mount my cdrom and then do wine SETUP.EXE in the cdrom-dir,
first, the sierra logo appears and it goes up to 99% and ending with an
empty error. now i switch to the console window i started SETUP.EXE with,
press Ctrl+C and run wine SETUP.EXE again. now it goes like it has to go
(sound test works, installation completes without hanging or an error).

after everything finished, i changed to the hl directory (in my case it's
/usr/local/wine/games/hl/) and type
wine -desktop hl.exe -- hl.exe -console -windowed
and then, when i press enter, a black window appears and after i short time
the monitor freezes (can't move mouse or swtich to other windows using
Alt-TAB) and nothing works. i have to press the reset button.
the console window reads, before everything is hanging sometimes AVITIME
still running! What should I do?
or sometimes it ends up just with stub.
what could that be?
which packages should be installed for compiling?????

any help would be very nice

greetings,
Tilman Jeske