/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register: no such file or directory

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Oct 21 19:59:23 CDT 2001

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Alukard Vrykolakas wrote:

> well now I believe it is a problem with binfmt in the kernel vs module.
> This was a stop along the way to finding that out I guess.

You absolutely do not need binfmt to run wine if you halfway know how to
work your *nix system.  Maybe the way RH tries to set it up, you do.
All binfmt does for you is if you type a windows executable filename
in the shell command line, it will run wine and pass it the absolute
pathname of that windows file - if binfmt is set up to do so, by echoing
strange strings into its register file.  Well, they are not really so
awfully strange.  I read the doco and set it up by hand.  It does work,
but I can't see that it is a very big deal.

If you have binfmt_misc as a module, it will create
/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register when you modprobe it.  Maybe if it is
compiled in, it needs that mount command to know that it is really
wanted.

Lawson
---oof---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!